How an Israeli with Cerebral Palsy Beat the Odds and Became an IDF Officer.
In honor of the UN’s International Day for People with Disabilities, we bring you the moving story of Captain Yehonatan Cohen – an IDF officer who dutifully serves his country despite being physically disabled since birth.
Captain Yehonatan Cohen is noticeably different from other officers in the Israeli army. As a result of a severe disability, he is bound to a wheelchair and unable to move his hands. He needs help with most day-to-day functions – including eating, drinking and bathing.
With significantly impaired vision, he relies on others to read aloud to him. Cohen was born two months premature, and because oxygen was cut off from his brain at birth, he developed Cerebral Palsy – a condition that left him physically disabled.
Despite his physical limitations, Cohen’s exceptional intellect and determination have allowed him to succeed. “My parents are people who didn’t give up on me along the way,” he says, joking that his use of the phrase “didn’t give up” may be an understatement.
Like many Israeli teenagers, Cohen eagerly reported to the IDF enlistment office, determined to join the military and serve his country.
“When all of my friends received their orders to enlist, I decided that despite everything, I wanted to enlist too,” Cohen recalls, explaining his devotion to the IDF and the Jewish state.
“The truth is that it’s something that’s been with me since childhood. We are a family that believes that the State of Israel is above everything. Before everything else, you have the State of Israel; this is something that was very important in our education and in the values of our family.”
Accompanied by his medical aide, Cohen approached an officer in the enlistment office, but was immediately told that his condition would prevent him from serving. “In my family, there was no such thing [as not enlisting],” Cohen says.
“We enlist – no matter what. It’s true that I wasn’t obligated to enlist in a formal or legal sense, but from an ethical and Zionist standpoint, I certainly was.” Although the IDF exempted him from service, Cohen insisted that the army accept him as a volunteer.
Read more here
I followed everyone who reblogged my post!
If I didn’t follow you even though you liked it or reblogged it it was only by mistake, and you can let me know or like the post again and I will follow you!
Oh God my post from a year ago in which I said I would follow anyone who reblogged it suddenly gained more notes! Many many notes!
I will follow everyone once I’m back from the army today! Promise!
Artist: Sings : 'Stand by me'
Track: "Tom Hiddleston"
Plays: 78,706 plays
Reblog for this beautiful voice.
Honestly, he sounds like he could have an absolutely PHENOMENAL voice if he got voice lessons. He’s already got such a rich timbre, but he doesn’t have the technique for the notes. Get a vocal coach, Tom, and hopefully one day we can see you in a musical!
I follow you because you are an amazing person and you've helped me through a lot of shit that has been thrown my way. The fact that you are in the same fandom as me is just kind of a plus. And we have the most amazing conversations ever.
Indeed are conversations are awesome. I love you, sweetie. Always here if you need me ♥
Fics I’ve always wanted to write but never succeeded, part 1
- Fandom: House M.D. House has a daughter, from Stacy. Her name is Emma, she’s 21, and she’s the only person in the world House is willing to admit he cares about. Her fiance, Mike, is getting sick and House treats him. His behaviour around his daughter makes everyone in the hospital rethink their opinions of him.
- Fandom: Prince of Tennis. Marui breaks up with Niou after dating him for 2 years. He also stops his relationship with Kirihara, whom he cheated on Niou with. The two start fighting each other, each one wanting him back, but they both don’t realize he wants someone else - Jirou.
- Fandom: Hana Yori Dango. Tsukasa and Rui are so busy fighting over Makino that she’s being left aside. Akira and Soujirou try to be there for her, and Akira falls for her. They start dating without telling the others.
- Fandom: Football RPF. In 1942 Steven Gerrard joins the army to fight against the Nazis. His boyfriend, Xabi, stays home. When Stevie’s secret of being gay is revealed, the guys in the company make fun of him. They also keep telling him there’s no way Xabi’ll wait for him to come back from the war. And he believes them.
- Fandom: Merlin (BBC). When Merlin is 15 he gets engaged with Brook, a girl from Ealdor. They break the engagement when she leaves the village to travel the land. Years later, when Merlin is in the court of Camelot, Brook returns. One Arthur Pendragon finds that he doesn’t like Merlin’s new girlfriend. He’d rather have Merlin for himself.
- Fandom: Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club. Haruka and Rin loved each other before Rin moved to Australia. When he’s back, old feelings rise up. A fic that follows the anime from episode 1 to 12, from Haru-chan’s POV.
- Fandom: Prince of Tennis. There is a reunion meeting of Rikkai and Sanada considers not attending. His wife convinces him to go, and when he’s there and he sees Yukimura again, they talk about their old relationship - they were together, then Sanada broke up with him and… I still need to find what happened next.
I need help
About a year ago I wrote a fic and now I’m working on translating it from Hebrew to English.
The thing is, it’s really hard to translate it because I want to stick to what I wrote on the one hand but it sounds terrible in English on the other.
So if there’s someone who’s English is good (grammar and stuff) and you’re willing to help by reading the fic and correcting the grammar and tell me what to change and help me make it readable it would be so super great.
The fic is around 4000-5000 words (I’m not done with the translation yet). Help, anyone?
not even that creepy tho
1. Think of the last person who said I love you, do you think they meant it?
2. Would you date an 18-year-old at the age you are now?
3. When’s the last time you were aggravated and happy at the same time?
4. Would you ever smile at a stranger?
5. Is there someone mad because you’re dating/talking to the person you are?
6. Have you heard a song that reminds you of someone today?
7. What exactly are you wearing right now?
8. How often do you listen to music?
9. Do you wear jeans or sweats more?
10. Do you think your life will change dramatically before 2014?
11. Are you a social or an antisocial person?
12. Have you ever kissed someone whose name begins with the letter ‘A’?
14. Can you drive a stick shift?
15. Do you care if people talk badly about you?
16. Are you going out of town soon?
17. When was the last time you cried?
18. Have you ever told someone you loved them?
19. If you could change your eye color, would you?
20. Is there a boy who you would do absolutely everything for?
21. Name something you dislike about the day you’re having.
22. Is it cute when guys kiss you on your forehead?
23. Are you dating the last person you talked to?
24. What are you sitting on right now?
25. Does anyone regularly (other than family) tell you they love you?
26. Have you ever wanted someone you couldn’t have?
27. Who was the last person you talked to before you went to bed last night?
28. Do you get a lot of colds?
29. Where is the shirt you are wearing from?
30. Does anyone hate you?
31. Do you have any empty alcohol bottles hidden somewhere in your room?
32. Do you like watching scary movies?
33. Do you want your tongue pierced?
34. If you had to delete one year of your life completely, which would it be?
35. Did you have a dream last night?
36. When was the last time you told someone you loved them?
37. Do you think you’ll be married in 5 years?
38. Do you think someone has feelings for you?
39. Do you think someone is thinking about you right now?
40. Did you have a good day yesterday?
41. Think back 2 months ago; were you in a relationship?
42. In the next 48 hours, will you hang out with a girl?
43. Has anyone told you they don’t want to ever lose you?
44. What’s the best part about school?
45. Do you have any pictures on your Facebook?
46. Do you ever pass notes to your friends in school?
47. Do you replay things that have happened in your head?
48. Were you single over the last summer?
49. Is your life anything like it was two years ago?
50. What are you supposed to be doing right now?
51. Do you hate the last guy you had a conversation with?
52. Are you nice to everyone?
53. Have you ever liked someone you didn’t expect to?
54. Do you think you can last in a relationship for 6 months and not cheat?
55. Are you good at hiding your feelings?
56. Do you think you like someone?
57. Have you kissed someone whose name starts with a ‘J’?
58. Do you prefer to be friends with girls or boys?
59. Has anyone of your friends ever seen you cry?
62. Is there something that happened in your past that you hate talking about?
63. Have you ever cried over a guy?
64. Who is probably talking a load of crap about you right now?
65. Are your toenails painted pink?
66. Will your next kiss be a mistake?
67. Girls love it when boyfriends cry; correct?
68. Have your pants ever fallen down in public?
69. Who was the last person you were on the phone with?
70. How do you look right now?
71. Do you have someone you can be your complete self around?
72. Can you commit to one person?
73. Do you have someone of the opposite sex you can tell everything to?
74. Have you ever felt replaced?
75. Did you wake up cranky?
76. Are you a jealous person?
77. Are relationships ever worth it?
78. Anyone you’re giving up on?
79. Currently wanting to see anyone?
80. Name something you have to do tomorrow?
81. Last person you cried in front of?
82. Is there someone you will never forget?
83. Do you think the person you have feelings for is protective of you?
84. If the person you wish to be with were with you, what would you be doing right now?
85. Are you over your past?
86. Have you ever liked one of your best friends of the opposite sex?
87. Is there anyone you can tell EVERYTHING to?
88. If your first true love knocked on your door with apology and presents, would you accept?
89. So, the last person you kissed just happens to arrive at your door at 3AM; do you let them in?
90. Have you ever liked someone who your friends hated?
91. Will you be in a relationship in 2 months?
92. Is there anyone you know with the name Michael?
93. Have you ever kissed a Matthew?
94. Were you in a relationship in January? How was it going?
95. Were you happy with the person you liked in March?
96. Don’t tell me lies, is the last person you texted attractive?
97. Who do you have texts from?
98. If the person you like says they like someone else, what would you say?
99. Have you ever kissed someone older than you?
100. Who’s in your profile picture with you?
101. Ever kissed under fireworks?
102. Has anybody ever given you butterflies?
Hello there dear visitor, and welcome to Teni Astro !
Have you ever tried to gather the puzzle pieces of your favorite characters to recompose their whole personality, so you could make them even more realistic; and discover, interpret what is so wonderful about them that…
Great idea! I’m looking forward to see what you have to say!
‘I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil’s son of Gondor, known to some as the third wheel.’ Aragorn - Book III Chapter II
(but that’s not… in the book… any part of it… unless i’m holding the wrong book…)